I am looking for some word to say at my mom's graveside service TOMORROW AM
pattyc4303
2008-07-12 01:53:06 UTC
I know it's ridiculous, but hours before we commit our Mom's cremains
to burial, I am realizing I wish I'd thought of something to say. We
had visitation and a funeral mass. Now I am thinking it's so COLD to
just drop her off and leave the grave site.

I read something lovely related to 9/11 once, but of course can't find
it now. A poem that said, more of less, don't grieve for me and enjoy
your life.

In any case, thinking that is the nature of what I'd like to read at
10am Saturday morning... might anyone have suggestions of a poem that
is not real long and not super religious.. that I could read while we
lay my mom to her final rest?

Any thoughts appreciated. And sorry if I sound cold for not having
figured this out already. I am thinking it took so much out of us to
get through her death and funeral home stuff... we didn't really think
about this last step, which is occurring almost 3 weeks after her
death.

Thanks,
Patty
Ken McM.
2008-07-12 02:23:06 UTC
Post by pattyc4303
[...]
This poem was on a funeral home website and below:
http://www.9-11heroes.us/v/Nicholas_G_Massa.php

I'm Free

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free.
I'm following the path god has laid, you see,
I took his hand when I heard him call.
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work, or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
I found that peace at the dawn of day.
If my passing has left a void,
Then fill it with remembering joy--
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss.
Oh, yes, these things I too shall miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow.
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much:
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief.
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart, and peace to thee.
God wanted me now; he has set me free!

My sympathy to you.
Ken
Noon Cat Nick
2008-07-12 02:28:07 UTC
Post by pattyc4303
[...]
If I should ever leave you whom I love
To go along the Silent Way, grieve not,
Nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk
Of me as if I were beside you there.
(I'd come-I'd come, could I but find a way!
But would not tears and grief be barriers?)
And when you hear a song or see a bird
I loved, please do not let the thought of me
Be sad .... For I am loving you just as
I always have ... You were so good, to me!
There are so many things I wanted still
To do --- so many things to say to you ...
Remember that I did not fear ... It was
Just leaving you that was so hard to face ...
We cannot see Beyond.. But this I know:
I loved you so - 'twas heaven here with you!

--Isla Paschal Richardson

Farewell, my friends, yet not farewell,
Where I go you too shall dwell.
I am gone before your face,
A moment's time, a little space.
When you come where I have stepped,
You will wonder why you wept.

--Edwin Arnold

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.

I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.

I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room,
I am the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.

--Mary K. Frye

With you a part of me hath passed away;
For in the peopled forest of my mind
A tree made leafless by this wintry wind
Shall never don again its green array.
Chapel and fireside, country road and bay,
Have something of their friendliness resigned;
Another, if I would, I could not find,
And I am grown much older in a day.
But yet I treasure in my memory
Your gift of charity, and young hearts ease,
And the dear honour of your amity;
For these once mine, my life is rich with these.
And I scarce know which part may greater be,--
What I keep of you, or you rob from me.

--George Santayana

Warm summer sun
Shine kindly here,
Warm southern wind
Blow softly here,
Green sod above
Lie light, lie light--
Good night, dear heart,
Good night, good night.

--adapted from Robert Richardson’s poem “Annette” by Samuel Langhorne
Clemens (Mark Twain) as the epitaph for his daughter, Olivia Susan Clemens

Among the saints give rest, O Christ,
to the soul of Your servant,
where there is no sickness, or sorrow, or suffering,
but life everlasting.

Eternal in memory,
eternal in memory,
may her memory be eternal.

--from the Eastern Orthodox funeral liturgy
pattyc4303
2008-07-12 12:03:40 UTC
Post by Noon Cat Nick
Post by pattyc4303
[...]
--from the Eastern Orthodox funeral liturgy- Hide quoted text -
Wow.

Thank you both so much.

Patty
m***@gmail.com
2008-07-23 17:58:08 UTC
Post by pattyc4303
[...]
This is what I said at my moms cremation,,,, It brought tears and made
people think. I hope it helps. I feel for your loss and if you need to
talk, remember that we all lose loved ones and so many around you can
offer help if you just express yourself to them.

1 Corinthians 15:51-57 (New International Version)
51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all
be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last
trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised
imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe
itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When
the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal
with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true:
"Death has been swallowed up in victory."[a]
55"Where, O death, is your victory?
thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus
Christ.

John 11:21-26
21"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother
would not have died. 22But I know that even now God will give you
whatever you ask."
23Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
24Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at
the last day."
25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who
believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and
believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
The Coming of the Lord
13Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall
asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. 14We
believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will
bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15According to
the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are
left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who
have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven,
with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the
trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After
that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together
with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be
with the Lord forever. 18Therefore encourage each other with these
words.

Psalm 23, The Lord is my Shepherd
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside still waters,
He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
For you are with me;
Your rod and your staff,
They comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
In the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
All the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
MelMenzies
2008-07-24 12:58:21 UTC
I came across your request too late to respond, Patty, but I see that
you've had plenty of worthwhile suggestions. You may, also, like to
look, tomorrow, at the blog on my website www.melmenzies.co.uk . I
shall be posting a bereavement poem there on the anniversary of my
daughter's death. The poem, titled Death is But a Door, is taken from
my book, A Painful Post Mortem so it is subject to copyright. It is
free to use but I do ask that people ask permission of me first so
that I know where it's going. God bless.
Mel Menzies